micro:bit Python Simulator

I’ve been following the hype around the BBC micro:bits since they were announced but it’s been notoriously difficult to get my hands on one. My Y7s have been waiting for their class set to arrive since they were promised in September and although I know there are plenty of schools out there who’ve received them, I’d pretty much given up hope this academic year.

Then, my lovely science technician told me she’d got some spare “computer gadget things” that came bundled in a in a kit that she wasn’t going to be needing and she wondered if some of my students would be interested.

Oh yes.

So, for the last week, I’ve set all sorts of different aged / ability students loose with the “computer gadget things” to see if they live up to the hype.

And they do.

11 thoughts on “micro:bit Python Simulator

• February 18, 2017 at 9:59 am

Thanks so much for this awesome tool! Is it open source? I would love to check out the source code and see if I can play around with some functionalities.

• July 8, 2017 at 2:58 pm

This is very helpful! Thank you very much.

• November 20, 2017 at 7:45 pm

You’re welcome-thanks for trying it out & hope it’s useful 🙂

• December 31, 2017 at 3:28 pm

Thank you for creating this. You are right about there being something more engaging about seeing the code running on a physical device, but this utility has just saved me a massive amount of time debugging some code with my son. Waiting for an error message to scroll by on the LED screen and then re-uploading after each change is simply painful.

Thanks!

• December 31, 2017 at 4:29 pm

You’re welcome-pleased it’s been useful.

• December 31, 2017 at 5:47 pm

Out of interest, what’s the project you’re working on with your son? Post a link to the code here if he’s willing to share for others to enjoy 🙂 Happy New year.

• May 4, 2018 at 8:50 pm

Thank you for doing this. Debugging is sooo much faster! I’ve just tried to get the file system working e.g.

with open(fileName) as h:
    a = h.read()
    return int(a)

but I run into a TypeError: Cannot read property ‘constructor’ of undefined. I guess it’s a limitation of the emulator as that is the documented way to access file content?

Thanks again

• May 4, 2018 at 9:54 pm

Thanks Shaun. Sorry, yes, the python simulator doesn’t support with blocks yet. You can get around it by using:

h = open(fileName)
      a = h.read()
      h.close()
      return int(a)

It’s not the most pythonic way of doing things but it should work on the simulator and micro:bit until I can work out a proper fix.