Flappy bird Micro:bit python tutorial for beginners

Follow these simple steps to code your own version of flappy bird on the BBC micro:bit. This tutorial is designed for someone with little or no programming experience who wants to get started writing python code. You don’t need a micro:bit to follow this tutorial, but it’s more fun if you’ve got one.

The BBC micro:bit only has a 5×5 LED screen so the graphics on our version of flappy bird are going to be predictably poor. But that means that it’s not too difficult to write (my version has 82 lines of code including comments and blank lines)

Before we start:

We’re going to write our program in python using the micro:bit simulator on create.withcode.uk.

Flappy Bird on the BBC micro:bit in python
Flappy bird micro:bit python

Why Flappy Bird?

The original Flappy Bird is a really simple idea for a game that’s fun to play. By going through this tutorial you’ll learn how to understand / use the following in python:

• How to display text on the micro:bit screen
  • How to use variables to keep track of score
  • How to display images on the micro:bit screen
  • How to scroll images on the micro:bit screen
  • How to detect if the user presses a button
  • How to keep part of your code looping

Why Python?

Python is a text-based programming language that’s designed to let you write as little code as possible that gets as much done as possible. There are other languages you can code a micro:bit with which are perhaps easier for beginners but once you’ve mastered the basics in python it’s much easier to create whatever you like – there’s no faffing around dragging hundreds of blocks together and using your keyboard to write code ends up being much faster than using your mouse / tapping your screen. The skills you learn in this tutorial will also help you with other python programming projects – not just those for the micro:bit.

Why the micro:bit simulator?

Testing your code on an actual BBC micro:bit is much more fun than running in in a simulator. You can use the BBC micro:bit site or the offline python editor mu to write code and send it to your micro:bit. Sometimes though, a simulator can be really useful:

• It lets you test the code without having to download the .hex file and wait for it to copy to the device
  • It’s easier to find and fix errors
  • It lets you run the code one line at a time

18 thoughts on “Flappy bird Micro:bit python tutorial for beginners

• June 10, 2016 at 3:31 pm

Hi Darryl,

Thanks – you’re right – sorry about that. I made a mistake when making micro:bit python simulator for the Image.shift_left() function – it ignored the parameter, which your comment has helped me fix: cheers!

I’ve changed line 71 from i = i.shift_left() to i = i.shift_left(1) which should fix the problem when you test it on a micro:bit.

• Pingback: Molla -robotin prototyyppi | Innokas-verkoston blogi

• August 25, 2018 at 10:58 am

I have a name error on line 22. It says name not defined.

• August 25, 2018 at 11:50 am

Thanks for getting in touch, sorry about the error. Please could you post a link to your code or let me know which example you’re getting the error with?

• August 25, 2018 at 12:26 pm

I’ve got the code https://create.withcode.uk/python/58B

It is at the section of
        def make_pipe():
        i = Image("00003:00003:00003:00003:00003")
        gap = random.randint(0,3)
        i.set_pixel(4, gap, 0)
        i.set_pixel(4, gap+1, 0)
        return i

The micro bit shows 'name error' ' name not defined'
        Hope this helps
        Thanks

• August 25, 2018 at 12:45 pm

I’ve edited your comment to replace the code with a link if that’s ok? – posting python directly on here gets rid of indentation and swaps some characters like quotation marks. I can’t seem to get the same error as you on the simulator or a micro:bit. Please could you check the link and see if it works for you or if the code matches yours?

• August 26, 2018 at 2:13 am

I’ve tested the code you post on micro bit and it seems like it’s still having the same error message.
      Line 17 ‘name error’ name ‘random’ is not defined.

• August 26, 2018 at 2:19 am

Sorry my misunderstanding with your comment, i thought you fixed the issue. Yes the code matches my original code that I’ve got.

• August 26, 2018 at 11:27 am

Sorry-that’s very frustrating. It runs on a microbit without an error for me. Are you getting the hex file from create.withcode.uk when you run the simulator or are you using a different editor? Could you try clearing your browser cache in case you’ve got an old version of the runtime stored. You’re the second person to say there’s a problem with the random module so I’d like to track down what the issue is, but I can’t replicate the problem on any browser. Thanks for your patience and help.

• August 26, 2018 at 1:04 pm

Hi, I tried clearing the cache and the same error occurs again. I’m using https://python.microbit.org/v/1 to edit my coding. Normally I would save the file from as a .py file and drag the file into the Micro:Bit folder.

Hope those information helps

• August 26, 2018 at 7:36 pm

Thanks – that’s helpful.

The micro:bit can’t run .py files directly: micro:bits need to be flashed with .hex files which contain both your python code and the micropython runtime which tell the micro:bit how to interpret your code. In the https://python.microbit.org/v/1 editor you’re using, you need to press the download button to create a hex file. That’s the one you then drag into the micro:bit folder. In create.withcode.uk, press ctrl + enter to run your code and you’ll see a link above the simulator that will let you download the hex file.

Hope that helps.